Wednesday, February 16, 2005

My sister Kimber

I recently received news that has made me confused, pissed off, worried and maybe a little happy. The other day my mother called and told me about my sister's battle with cancer. She has just went through her second surgery to remove cancerous lumps from her. My family tends to be the type that live for ever if it weren't for wars and industrial accidents, I know of no one in my family who has ever died of cancer.

At 45 years old I still have four grandparents alive. So you can see why death is somewhat foreign to my family. I have a great-grandmother who is 101 years old, one grandmother who is 91 and another that is 81. My remaining grandfather is 86. I have always said that being a female in our family meant that you had a chance to hit triple digits.

What makes my sister's plight seem so crazy is she is also pregnant at the age of 41 years. Her family is mostly grown. The youngest child she is currently raising is 16 years old. She already has two grandchildren. My brothers all think she is nuts for having another child. Being the only girl in our family she had no chance but to be nuts. But I think the new baby is a sign of optimism.

Kimber is the perfect Irish lass. She has the beautiful long curly red hair and the Irish complextion along with her beautiful smile. She has always had the Irish ire to ward off most. She was an excellent horseperson when we were growing up. As a kid she barrell raced at rodeos and played basketball on a boy's high school team (we attended a very small high school and there were not enough girls to make a team, so the state's sport regulating agency allowed her to play on the boys team). She was hitting shots from the three point line prior to there being a three point line. she could moved the ball up and down the court regadless of her competition. As she did with horses and with basketball and three shitty marriages she has always came out on top and has been able to overcome any odds.

I'm asking that anyone that reads this please add Kimber in your prayers, wishes and or good thoughts.