Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Meshmash

“The Great Pacific Northwest”. I remember when I was in grade school this description was always used when mentioning Oregon and Washington. Being a small town boy this always gave me a Herculean complex. Since most of the country always mispronounced Oregon (AR-RE-Gone), I felt a little revenge against those I perceived of slighting our state, so when the history books or some stuff would call our area,”The Great Pacific Northwest” it aroused my love for the home team.

Of late I have been savoring some more revenge or gloated self-importance because of the weather we had been experiencing over the last four or five months. We have had an abundance of 60 plus and 70 plus degree-days while it has been raining in southern Cal. A week doesn’t go by without the local weather liars telling us rain is on the way, don’t get a tan as of yet. Keep your fins at arms reach; don’t put away your umbrella April hasn’t arrived. Then the following week we start our days with a lot of fog and by noon its 70 degrees. Meanwhile, in California, Arizona and all the other rain challenged states I see rain, rain, and more rain. Makes me gloat.

Now that Spring Break begins at the end of this week my guess is the rain will finally drown us. And our tans will then rust.

I am sending my eldest boy, Jock, to Italy this weekend. Don’t go thinking Mrs. Pirate and myself are loaded with cash jet setters. Other than my younger brother’s month long drunk walk through Spain last year, this is the first from family who has gone to Europe since WWII. The last time anyone from my family went there they went and killed Germans and lost their own lives in the process. The only foreign countries we ever make it to are Mexico and Canada.

I told Jock to not act too much like an American when he’s there (since he is traveling with 30 other kids from his school it may be difficult). You never know what type of crackpot terrorist may be lurking about. I told him if he is ever taken hostage tell them you’re trying to avoid the draft and the only reason you’re in Italy is for butt and vino. I also told him needs to see if the Pope will give him a High 5, piss in the waters of Venice and ask them where Russell Crowe fought the lions. He could also ask the authorities in the know why the people from Troy have a rubber named after them and the Romans don’t.

You’re probably asking yourself what the hell this post was all about? Well your guess is as good as mine.

I would like to know if any of you know who Ernest Everhard was.

I want to thank those who are trying to help me set up links. I want others to know the cool places I cruise to during my blog cruise.