Monday, May 09, 2005

Sayings I like

Sayings I like to use. For many years I coached football and basketball for junior high boys. At their age the little guys like to always say, “I’m trying.” I guess if you can get the adult to buy off on fact that you’re “trying” no further effort is required.

I would always say, ”Steers try, bulls do”. I don’t think many of them understood what I was trying to convey. I know most of their mothers didn’t because I heard a mom or two over the years use the same saying after their kid went through a couple of seasons with me. It was always funny to hear some mother tell her whining kid “Steers try, bulls do”. One mother though pulled me aside and told me she knew what I meant by the saying and then smiled at me. That was it; she didn’t follow it up with anything other than a smile.

The other saying I love is when you have someone that has doubt about their potential or questions their ability to win, I always say, “Go eat their lunch and then hit them upside the head with the sack when your done.” I don’t really know what it means myself but it sounds good. It is encouraging to doubters.

When trying to describe how dumb someone is I like, “He couldn’t find his ass in a small room with both hands and a flashlight”. It’s another one that usually draws blanks, but it is funny too.

When you are discussing women with another man who likes to call woman, whores or sluts, I always ask them if they know the difference between the two. If they don’t, I tell them what my dad always said the difference was. A whore is a girl that has sex with all your friends and you and a slut is a girl that has sex with all your friends but you. Using that measuring stick over the years I think he was right, because I always sensed a slight tone of anger when the term slut is used.

Do you have any you like?

I will be taking a couple of days off to go watch Jock run in the district meets the next few days. He is rated number 4 in both the 200mm and 400mm for their league. The two relays he runs in 4X400mm and 4X100mm they should get third or second in both. A first or second in any of these four events would send him to state. Last week after a road meet a college coach approached him and wants to have him visit their campus. He was shocked. They were there to see the kid he was running against and apparently they were shocked that he won. Who knows maybe Mrs., Pirate and I may get some help in feeding this kid when he goes off to college.

Keep up the good fight and remember steers try, bulls do.