Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Sad day

The dark cloud will eventually fade away. There has been a gloom over all of us at our home and neighborhood the last couple of days. The other night was prom night for our local teens and one of our local boys was in an accident and his date was killed. The tragedy hit our neighborhood like a ton of bricks. Most of us found out about the accident on the evening news. I was the one that had to tell my boys. There response was a small bit indifferent and mostly shock. I could hardly get it out without welling up and my voice shaken.

The young man is this year Valedictorian of the graduating class. He aced the SAT test and was awarded a free ride to MIT. His date was heading for the same college this next year. They had their love and live ahead of them. Then a freak accident changed the direction of their lives.

The young man I know through my two sons. They ran cross-country with him and he is on the same track team with my boys. My eldest son and this boy have been building computers for others, which has inspired Jock to try starting his own business. Today there is a track meet and this young man has told his friends and teammates he plans to be there.

To make the incident even more eerie is my youngest brother was the police officer that went to the accident. Then he was interviewed in the paper about it. He told me that he was shaken as well. He said the little girl was so beautiful and her death is such a waste. The young man and his date were on their way to the prom and were the last people that you would think of being in such accident. Neither of the two have ever touched drugs or alcohol or pushed any of the limits that usually kill the inexperienced.

The cloud will lift most of us spectators that I am sure of I pray it lifts from the young man.