Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Bad Santa has to go?


Well, Our friends on the other side of the pond are at it again. In London awhile back they had decided in their equivalent to our high schools to allow the students use the "F" word up to five times a day. Then punishment would be enacted if they exceeded the allotted "F" words.

Today I read the powers in charge are going to clamp down on Bad Santas. No not the Billy Bob Thornton type but any Santa that is deemed below standard. Standard being a jolly old plumb elf with grey hair, a round belly, blue eyes, pink cheeks and a grandfatherly smile accompanied with a bellowing laugh. Their goal is to rid London from the "fat slob" type of Santas.

I got to thinking do we need this much control? I know its London today but you know there is some "Goody-goody Gum-Drop" group out there, just waiting to carry the torch here to the great US of A. Of course they will have to change the name of the holiday first in order not to offend those who don't celebrate "The" holiday but rather celebrate "The" season.

What worries me is I kind of like the old Santas we use to patronize at the department stores when I was a kid. The smells of bourbon or peppermint-schnaups, with a trace of tabacco and bad Chinese food along with two week old body order well festered in the red get up, brings back wonderful memories for me. What did I care when I was a kid? As long as I got a crack at the "Big Guy" and was able to provide him with the most important data I had at the time with hopes he would pull through for me or at least get the message to my mom. As long as the "Big Guy" didn't have anything in his front pocket and he appeared awake I figured I had a chance.

Man, can't we leave well enough alone? Whose next the tooth fairy?