Saturday, October 08, 2005

Days like these


Slick, Number 2 son, donning the cool running shades. Before the JV race.














Jock, Number one son, slipping out of his jacket prior to the Varsity race.








I think days like today were created for me. I rolled over early this morning and had a rasslin' match with the Pirate wife and got caught by number two son, Slick. (Note to future always lock the bathroom door from our room no matter how early it is.) He played it cool though. He's fifteen so I hope I gave him something to look forward to. One big hairy-ass Pirate man with his head between... Well, you can get the picture from here. Maybe I scarred him for life. Naaa, he'll thank me some day and so will his future lovers. Point #1.

I then tried playing it real cool by getting up and making a bodacious breakfast, sausage, eggs, hashbrowns and toast. Filling the kitchen with the great smells of a country home accompanied by strong French roast. I have the Eagles playing on the stereo, the lovely and always beautiful Pirate wife is reading the paper and the boys come downstairs.

"What are you making dad?" they both inquire as they look into the cast iron skillet sizzling away with all that could be healthy. "We have a meet today, we can't eat that greasy stuff before a meet." So they ended up with carbs and juices. Mrs. Pirate and the pegged-legged buccaneer who put the smile on her face for the day had to eat all the greasy breakfast. Point #2.

"Dad we need to be up to the school by a quarter after 8". Out the door I run with the boys as Mrs. jumps into the shower. When I get home there has been an accident in the shower. Since it was just me and the bride and the two cats who could give a rat's ass and the two dogs who are busy smelling each other's tails, I was called into action. Apparently soap had been lost and my assistance was required to find it. Dive Pirate, dive. Point #3.

Cleaned and filling a little worn and knowing that going back to bed would not be prudent and could lead to a heart-attack we decided on running down town and pick up some fresh bread from Great Harvest for the team. We get down there and the place is full of its usual aromas, country white, Dakota, Nine grain, Apple Crisp and Pumpkin bread. We buy a couple loaves and eat our free slice accompanied with a strong 20 oz. cup of coffee. Point #4.

We arrive at the meet up the road from Salem twenty miles or so. The meet was being held at Champoeg Park. The real birthplace of Oregon. The place my ancestors first met each other. A park where my great-grandmother's picture hangs in the museum. A place where my Great Grandfather use to chop wood for the sternwheelers that use to travel up and down the Willamette River prior to the US Highway system. Autumn is in full bloom or death depending how you look at it. Leaves of all colors, a bit of chill in the air and a touch of morning fog embrassing the oaks along the river. Point #5.

The race was okay. North High neither won nor were there any personal bests for anyone. They had raced Wednesday night and had taken a second in Varsity and a first for JVs. But I suspect they were too tired and worn down from the race the other day. Big deal they still had fun and I got caught between two chatter boxes that adore the Pirate wife and myself and the two women yakked my ears off. Clear off I tell you. At one time I couldn't tell if I was being overwhelmed with a coffee buzz with an ever so silencing ring in my ears or if they had actually stolen my hearing. I sat there smile plastered on my face, nodding away as I could only make out their mouths moving. I have no idea what they were saying. Then another father came up to me and said he had caught two 30lbs. salmon at the coast yesterday and he is bringing one over tonight for me. Point #6.

We then drove home and the boys told us that their coach and his wife were having a get together for the team at their house tonight at 7 to 11. Then we both realized lil sis is spending the night at her friend's house, and we will be home by ourselves until a little after 11. Point#7. Game and match.....