Monday, December 12, 2005

Helping somebody

I stayed home and worked today. Avoided the office. I have a hard time watching a corpse going bad on the bone. Last Friday I was the only one that bothered to come in. No co-workers, Sir Von Asswipe or his lovely and gracious wife, Peach until late in the day.

I spent the whole day blogging and reading a book. there was the occasional call for the master or his queen. Nothing that couldn't wait. Then about 3:30 Peach arrived. I had my headphones on, busy reading some of the HNT posts (yes, I read the posts). I felt the office floor shake and I thought we were having another earthquake when the queen suddenly appeared at the door of my office. "So there is someone in the office today", she stated. "We've been up at the house preparing for a dinner we are putting on for the less fortunate, or needy from our church."

I must admit I've know these people for some time and have never heard a church mentioned by either of them. In fact, I've been on the road with Sir Von Asswipe on many occasions where on Sunday I went to church and have always invited him. He has always pooh-poohed it by saying he doesn't know anyone there. I'd always tell him I only knew one guy and he is always there. His puzzled look always told me he had no idea who I was talking about.

"Asswipe has decided in the next phase of his life he will reach out to those who are less fortunate then we have been". Peach informed me. "It is 'busy" work getting ready for those type of people. The caterers and the people we hired to set up the receiving area didn't even get to our house until a little after noon."

"What did you do all day until they came", I asked?

"We prepared for their arrival", she told me reassuring she was busy.

"I wanted to tell you that Asswipe and I are very happy the way you responded to the news of the firm closing. You are the only one that took it without being upset." she told me as she popped a handful of red rope in her mouth. As she tried to kill the wad of red gob in her mouth she continued. "We thought it was best to lay off everyone during the holiday season because it allowed them to get out and network for their next jobs."

I was hypnotized watching her shove another handful of red rope in her mouth and wasn't sure if I heard her right, "You thought it would be easier to find work during the holidays?"

"Yep, yum, um smack, You know you can get out to holiday parties and rub elbows with people that might be looking for favors and people to do projects." she informed me as she scratched her sweatpants covered butt with one hand and her other hand digging out another handful of red licorice. "Smack, slurb um ,yum."

"Can I ask you something?" I asked her. "I'm curious."

"Sure, yum, smack... What is it?" she looked me in the eye as a trail of a red stream worked itself down through a roll of her cheek to her awaiting triple chin.

"Do you think the needy people at your Christmas Gala" interrupted..

"Holiday Gala" she corrected me.

"Okay, holiday gala," corrected and trying to hang on to the point. "Do you think any of these people at your festivities tonight will hit you two up for a job?".

"Gawd! I hope not!!", she sighed and pushed another handful into her mulching machine.

You know I'm grateful for the escape.


Christmas/holiday ideas. If you are out this next couple of weeks shopping, eating and meeting with people and happen to notice a soldier in uniform stop and thank them and pick up the tab. The ideal is to pay for them at the counter without the seeing you and ask the person taking the money to not mention it to anyone or to mention who you were. If you know a family who has sacrificed with a member of their family in harms way let them you know you have them in your thoughts. Its worth it to them.

I'm sure many of you have heard this song and it has become one of my favorites of late. I love the message and the feeling the video gives me. I was raised a lot like the way this song implies.