Friday, January 27, 2006

Let the Race begin

Yesterday I was asked what are five of my guilty pleasures. I was a little surprised by the question and not in my best form so i threw out five that came to mind. Reading them today I can see there is not much guilt in any of them. I must admit those who know me closely, know that my favorite guilty pleasure is discussing politics. I do not mean a heatd discussion but more of a discussion of the mechanics of politics, the game that is played and how that game affects the country and the world.

In no way do I associate my failures and successes to who is elected to the White House. I take full responsibilty for all my outcomes and refuse to point a finger at the President and their administration for any shortcomings that arrive at my door step as well as not giving them the credit for anything good that happens to me.

I am keen enough in my vision to realize there is only a smidget of difference between the two major parties and have no doubt anything we experience under one administration we most likely would have experienced the same under the fool that ran against them in the first place. There is little doubt in me that the on-going saga that we all see, hear and read about daily is basically scripted and played out for the voting public. Not the citizenry, not the haves or have nots, no all the yammering we associate with politics is played only for those who vote.

If Gore would have beaten Bush in 2000 the terror in NYC, Washington DC and Pennsylvania would have still happened and Gore would have had to respond and he wuld have responded just as Bush has done. And the dbte today would be how incompetitent he and his administration is and they lied about WMDs and blah blah blah.

Now why I wanted to post this today. I honestly think who is elected in 2008 has a chance to change this country like no other since maybe Lincoln or Reagan (yes I equate these two men with each other). In 2008 the race will be wide open. No one will be running for re-election which is a first for many generations of Americans. I believe it may be the first since Eisenhower's first run for office in 1952. This upcoming race will not have a recent VP or President in it.

So who will run? Hillary of course seems to be the obvious for the Democrats and there is Gov. Bill Richardson of New Mexico, the recent governor of Virginia, may be Al Gore but he may be in a padded room by then or Hillary will have him shot. The freshman Senator from Illinois or a complete dark horse, and we all know teddy kicks himself everyday for his drunk driving mishap or he'd be in this like a shot. On the republican side there should be McCain, Senator George Allen, maybe Rudy of NYC, we all know Arnold would love to, and my favorite Condoleeza Rice.

Who do you think will be a strong candidate? Who maybe a dark horse? Any surprises you may forsee? Is there another sawed-off nutcase like H. Ross Perot out there? Maybe a suave Hollywood type? Maybe my Ohio friend Libby? Or Marg in Pierce County who ciurrently bangs the gavel as the President of the Booster club? I'm curious who you all think should or will be our next leader.

GO CONDI!!!