Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Playing the Dating Game

Today looks to be one of those businessmen flesh pressing days; "schmooze dating" if you will. I have a potential new client today that I have to buy lunch for today. Its been so long since I have dated I may have forgotten all the moves and the lines.

In the past I always let them do all the talking while I took mental notes. But I am older now work for myself and I am more desperate. Questions keep going through my head like, what are these younger business people into these days? What kind of music do they listen to? What do they talk about? If I fork out the money for the lunch will they feel obligated to put out? What if I can't perform like I use to? If I get it up can I sustain it? If they put out am I obligated to send them thank you notes later or flowers? Are they going to be interestd in Pirates? Worries, worries worries.

I'll be sure to wear clean underwear, brush my teeth, carry a quarter for the pay phone and have an escape plan. I'll keep a smile pasted on my face even if the topic bores me and even if I suspect that I am being used. I will not bring up life on the sea unless asked and I will keep my Pirate tongue to a minimum. When I part from the schmooze date I will be sure to be polite and say my thank you's as my mom always taught me and make the implications that this can go a lot further if they want it to. Its all up to them, for I need two to dance.

Oh boy! this is going to be exciting. Wish me luck...

Peace