Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Happy Bomb Day

Today my baby girl turned 14 years old. Man that seems to surreal to me. My oldest girl was only 2 years old a week ago. At least that is how it seems to me.

So about 5 am this morning I hear our bedroom door open ever so slowly. Then I hear Lil Sis's whisper ask Mrs. Pirate if it was okay for her to get up so early. And then she asked if we remembered what today was. When she marries one of these days remind me to warn the new husband that she takes her birthday as seriously as I do. She doesn't have a birthday it is more like a birthweek. We bought her a lot of name brand clothes because that is what that kid wants to wear. The oldest girl liked the raggy hand me downs and second hand market rags. The oldest boy wears whaever looks like he just came from PE, and the little brother, slick wears jeans and a goofy T-shirt. Lil Sis always name brands, Hmmm. Another note to future husband, make a lot of money.

When we got into the car this morning to drive them to school the birthday girl didn't have any of the new clothes on. She looked like she was dressing down for the day.

"Why aren't you wearing any of that cool stuff you got for your birthday?"

"Oh, because its bomb day," she repsonded ever so matter of frankly.

"Bomb Day" I asked ever so puzzled.

"Yes, our school was warned last week that we would all be killed at school today by a bomb." Answered without hesitation or one ounce of worry.

"That's what you and mom were talking about?" asked by a dad that listens with only one ear sometimes.

"Yep, probably someone messed up girl, left a message on the wall in the girl's bathroom last week. I figured it isn't real because she spelled bomb, b-o-m".

"So you guys are calling it bomb day?"

"Yep, and the teachers aren't so cool about that. They told us it is a serious matter and we shouldn't joke about it. We figure if its true there is nothing we can do about it, so we might as well haved fun with it. Besides they have checked the school out with policemen, dogs and all kinds of other people. I don't think there is a bomb. But if there is I don't want to ruin my new clothes"

Gotta love em. And I was worried about how they would handle this messed up world.