Monday, April 17, 2006

What do I do????

This last weekend was the XO Invitational at the University of Oregon. It is held at Heyward field where many famous track athletes have showed their wares. The top track athletes of the high school where our sons attend were invited. Jock was seeded fourth in the 400m and 8th in the 200m and their 400x1m relay team was seeded fifth. Jcok enede up third in the 400m, 4th in the 200m and their relay finished 2nd by 100th of a second. So a lot of success was provided for the parents who sat and froze their asses off.

It was the coldest sporting event I can remember ever watching. I have participated in some almost as cold but never have I sat for 12 hours wet and freezing in the downpour and wind just to yell for kids running around in tank tops and shorts. My dad and step mom got a chance to come and watch Jock for the first time. I big tip of that hat goes to them for making it through the meet. They knew only one kid running but they got into yelling for all of them as we did. I think it made them feel warmer.

Then we got a call from Slick. He and Lil sis had stayed home to veg and watch TV as everyone else was out of town. I could barely hear him over the cell phone with the stadium PA mostly drowning him out. He said that my aunt and uncle had dropped off my grandmother at the house while they went shopping. I told him that was great.

He said, "Dad what do we do with her?"

I told him the visit with her. Enjoy the opportunity.

"How do we visit with her?" came the panicked response.

"You tell her what you been up to and what you plan to do and ask her questions".

"But dad she can't hear very well. So now I have to talk really loud to her".

I told him to improvise.

The next morning I asked him what they did with Grandma? They said they called my mother and sister over to have them visit with grandma. Then Blaze came by and rescued them.

I need to start training those two on how to talk with elderly people just in case I live that long and get stuck sitting in their livingroom.