Saturday, April 07, 2007

Books

As I was on hiatus from blogging I found myself reading a several books worth mentioning. Some were good some were not so good but the are going to mentioned anyway.

The Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill. Joe Hill is the son of Stephen King. The story is original and worth reading. Hill has incorporated some of his father's talent and several of the same means of keeping the contempory reader interestd by mentioning contempory musicians, books, and current events throughout the story. I have to admit there were several times I said,"Uh?" and had to go back a page or two to see if I missed something. Overall it is a good book.

House of Sand and Fog by andre Dubus III. I enjoyed this one as well. It is a story that teeter-totters back and forth between two people surrounding the importance of a specific house. I liked it a lot.

Survival of the Fittest by Johnathan Kellerman. Its a typical Kellerman novel that kind of drags on but it is worth the read. Some times I think Kellerman is getting paid by the word. Often he goes on a little long in areas.

The Conspiracy Club by Jonathan Kellerman. Ditto.

The Innocent Man by John Grisham. It is Grisham's attempt at non-fiction. To be honest with you it is no, "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote but it a good read. I sat down and pounded this one out in a day and a half which may say something about the ease of the read. i have only done that with two other books in my life.

State of Fear by Michael Crichton. This one will surely wrangle the likes of Al Gore and his alarmist position about the state of humans destroying the world. Good book like most anything Crichton writes.

Lisey's Story by Stephen King. Longer and repetitive then it needs to be. The pace is confusing at times. But I am a King fan so Iread anything he writes.

Cell by Stephen King. A little more exciting about how dangerous cell phones can be. Interesting idea lacked some of King's heart in the telling though.

All the Trouble in the World by PJ O'Rourke. Older book I found at a yard sale. I can't resist O'Rourkes slant on world observations. If you don't have a sense of humor and have a tendency to resist the idea that conservatives can have a sense of humor themselves don't bother.

Citizen Soldier by Stephen Ambrose. Non-fiction book on the WWII soldiers and the type of people they were.

Benjaman Franklin by Walter Isaacson. My favorite character in history. I think old Ben may have literally been the father of our country.

The Darwin Conspiracy by John Darton. Another book that titilates the myths most people have grew comfortable with. It is a historical mystery and a fun read.

Sea of Glory by Nathaniel Philbrick. It is the second book he has written about the sea and those who make their lives on the open waters. This one was historically interesting but not written as well as his last book Heart of the Sea which I loved. This book was about the mappig of the South Pacific the previous was the whale ship, Essex, that was sunk by a great killer whale. The story Moby Dick was based on the incident.

There have been more nut I can not remember. Some times they run together in my mind.

Have a Happy Easter and remember the reason for it all has less to do with eggs, bunnies, chocolate and ham and more to do with the grace of forgiveness and the lengths that someone will go to, to show you their unconditional love for you.

Peace.