Tuesday, September 12, 2006

They're off and running





Its that time of the year with the change in the color of the leaves, cooler evenings, dew on the morning grass, favorite football teams to be boasted about and cross country.

Where in the heck did this sport ever come from? At least in my family. I came from a family that saw football as the reson for living. My two brothers and I were larger then the running types and preferred smashing into other people then trying to out run them. I always pictured any future children having the same love affair with the gridiron as I had. I could never fathom a Pirate family member not having an innate desire to play the game of the gods.

But I was wrong. Both sons tried the game. Jock played it through Sophmore year until he decided that his future was on the oval track and football could be an obstical to any success in track. Slick gave it a shot when he was in middle school and found it was not his cup of tea; smashing into others when he nothing against the other guy in the first place.

Blaze never wanted to give football one second of her tme. Senseless was what she saw in the game. Lil Sis though has always been a fan. Since she was very little she has always been Dad's football buddy. I, a Ram fan, she a Bronco fan.



Now she is too old to play football in any organization she has turned into a cross country runner. This last week at the coast north of Tillamook she ran in her first meet.

Her and Slick trudging down the sand and then up through the woods along path ways and hiking trails. Mrs. Pirate and I getting our walking in by moving from observation point to observation point. It was quit a workout for an old Pirate that has spent much of his time on the beach burying treasure and pounding beers.