Friday, November 04, 2005

Slick is 16 (so you have been warned)

I'm only bringing this up because I care about others and I don't want to be sued. The Slick meister turned 16 years old today. That's right there is one more driver on the road from the Pirate brood. And I'm warning you he drives a lot like his mother. Those of you that have ridden in a car when the lovely and gracious Mrs. Pirate was at the helm, know exactly what I'm talking about. She can do many things better then most but keeping her passengers feeling safe while she drives is not her forte. Now to complicate things Slick will soon be seeking his driver's license very very soon. So you have been warned.

Slick is my youngest son. I gave him the alias of Slick not because of any unsavory characteristics or any "horn-dog" behavoir usually associated with the name. I gave it to him because he is the coolest most laid back guy I have ever met. He is the epitome of Type B personality. A lot like Blaze, not much bothers this dude. He rarely has his self riled about much other then girls. Boy does he loves the ladies.

I knew it the first time I took him to kindergarten he was a ladie's man. Even though he could acutally pronounce only a few words properly and was a late bloomer when it came to talking he had little fear expressing himself with his eyes and smile. When I took him into his classroom for the first time, holding his hand and introducing him to his teacher, he looked up at her as she greeted him and said to her," You're handsome," accompanied with his killer smile and beautiful eyes. Instead of being nervous of the new environment of a school and all the ruckus that comes with a new set of kindergarteners, he instantly seized the opportunity to make it his. All these new friends and a handsome woman in charge, how could life be any better then that?

As he met new friends in those first weeks of school he would always tell me about the new friend and how their mother was pretty (We had fixed the "handsome" part). Slick wasn't the best at expressing himself verbally and often we had to turn to Jock and ask him what his brother had just said. But he did express himself with few words. I think the first word I could actually understand what he had said other then mama and dada was "shit". To this day it is still his favorite word for expressing most situations.

Slick has always been poor at remembering names and how certain things and people relate to each other. Several years ago I was driving my kids out to see my sister on a farm she lived on outside of town. After we had been on the road for awhile Slick asked me who we were going to visit.

"My sister Kim." I told him.
"You have a sister?" he asked all puzzled.
"Yes, of course."
"Who is your sister?" still puzzled and looking at me like I was pulling his leg.
"Aunt Kim." I assured him. "You know, Zach, Tia and Chris' mom."
"That's your sister?"
"Who did you think she was?"
"One of mom's friends."
"You know that picture on the piano of me and Uncle JK and Kevin?"
"Yes." looking even more puzzled.
"Why would she be in that picture with the three of us if she wasn't my sister?"
"I don't know. I never thought about it. Has mom seen the picture?"

Now that is Slick in a nutshell. Happy Birthday Slick, you're a stud.