Friday, December 23, 2005

Give a little bit and make your life shine

Anyone that has dealt with depression, the blues, the blahs, the "I can't take much more of this" feelings. May already know this, if you don't I hope it helps you.

Serotonin is a neurotransmitter found in the brain and blood stream of mammals. It is responsible for the "Man, do I feel good!" job in all of us. When you are lacking this neurotransmitter you usually experience the blues at some degree. How it effects you or how you regulate the the levels of serotonin in individuals has not been discovered yet, but the medical industry has found ways to elevate the levels of serotonin in individuals, thus medications like Zoloft and similar neurotransmitter stimulants.

As someone that at one time several years ago was prescribed Zoloft I know of what I speak. At the time I was taking Zoloft I was going through some real tough times, working full time, running two outside businesses, my family was rather young at the time and there were issues inside of me that I had never faced and had always conveniently put aside. With a understanding wife and some close friends I was encouraged to go see a doctor and that doctor opened my eyes to what was happening to me. Once I began taking the prescription my life did change and I did begin my journey back to happiness. I can only describe Zoloft as something that changed my life from "black and white" to "color".

I have been off the prescription for many years and have discovered something else that works as well for me. No its not pot, or another drug, its kindness. There have been studies that have shown that when someone experiences an act of kindness toward them their level of serotonin rises. Yes, that's right you can increase the level of serotonin or happiness in someone else simply by showing any form of kindness toward them. Holding a door for a busy person as they leave a building, smile at a stranger, pay for someone's cup of coffee, millions of things we can do for each other.

The other interesting part of the kindness study was the person who does the act of kindness has their levels of serotonin rise as well. Whenever you give of yourself without any expectations of a return that act of kindness gives your level of serotonin a boost.

The other thing that is so cool about this kindness study is someone who views this act of kindness without any participation themselves experiences the rise in their serotonin too.

So if you are feeling down this Christmas or anytime of the year set your sights on raising your serotonin and the levels of those around you. Bringing the "Man, do I feel good" feeling to others is an excellent choice for all of us.

And that's all I have to say on that. As soon as the Christmas season is over right back to the "bad ass" Pirate stuff and I will only be taking a few prisoners this time.