Sunday, January 01, 2006

Its Official We Are Old

Happy New Year to all of you. I say that without a hangover. I say it without any sleep in my voice or head. I say it because I honestly believe this will be a great year.

Mrs. Pirate and myself found ourselves alone last night. All three of the teenagers had bowling and video game parties to go to. And people gave up asking us out for New Years several years ago because they got tired of the turn downs. So we were stuck at home alone, left with nothing but our own imaginations.

So we watched Lonesome Dove. Snacked on things we had bought just in case we felt like we'd be in the mood for a party. I drank a couple of cold beers. Then about 8 o'clock Mrs. Pirate went to bed without and I decided to see what Dick Clark looked like. I feel asleep before midnight. It must be the first time since I was a little kid watching WC Field and Marx Brother's movies on New Year's Eve.

We then slept in until 9 am and laid in bed for awhile watching football. I have no idea if this is any indication of things to come or not. It just might mean we are getting old. I mean Mrs. Pirate is getting old.

I will let you in on a little secret with me and New Years. My birthday is at the end of January so I really don't start any resolutions or begin anything with a New Year spirit until after my birthday. This gives me time to rethink any promises I was pondering. Or any resolutions I may have thought of. So I don't have to go around in December saying silly things like at midnight 12/31 I will no longer drink, smoke, eat too much, scratch my privates in public, give the bird to authority, defy death, or be a better person. I can save that until the last week of January. And at that time if I detect others breaking their promises or resolutions I take that as an out avoid putting myself in such pickles.

Oh, I know your sying that's cheating but that is what Pirates do. Happy New Year to you that have made the promises and I hope for your sake you are able to meet those resolutions. But don't be too tough on yourself if you don't.

Peace...